On 27th October 2016, YTL Cement held its Annual Seminar at JW Marriot Hotel in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Dr. Tam Chat Tim (YTL Cement's Technical Advisor), Ir. Soo Thong Phor (YTL Cement's Director of Technical and Product Development), Dr Bruce J. Christensen (Vice President for the Construction Chemicals Division of BASF SE), Dr. Francesco Surico (Concrete Admixtures R&D Director of Mapei SpA) and Mr. Ng Yih Zhe together with Mr. Hooi Jia Hao, Nicky (Site Engineers in Gamuda Engineering Sdn. Bhd.) gave presentations around the theme of "Optimising Performance In Concrete".
The seminar saw a huge turnout with over 400 participants consisting of Engineers, Consultants, Contractors, Developers, Readymixed Concrete Suppliers, Precasters, Industrial Users as well as Officers from various government agencies.
The presentations covered:
- The important aspects of Standards, Current Practices and some common Performance Stipulations for concrete. Outlines the beneficial use of various types of additions such as ground granulated blast furnace slag (GGBS), fly ash, silica fume and limestone powder for optimising performance in concrete.
- The use of chemical admixtures to optimize concrete performance together with a brief review of the usefulness and limitations in conformity testing of concrete properties in terms of site practice.
- The use of latest admixture solutions to improve the rheological properties of concrete during mixing, pumping and placing.
- Issues related to mass concrete design and placing were discussed, and several case studies were presented, that featured various types of concrete ranging from Self Compacting Concrete, to Fluid Concrete, to Rolled Compacted Concrete.
- Overview of the best-practices in the construction of underground structural concrete works of Kuala Lumpur’s Mass Rapid Transit rail project; while facing the constant challenge of designing concrete and concrete placement to satisfy stringent quality standards in the most cost-effective and time-effective manner.
As with previous events, YTL Cement organised an entertaining but challenging quiz for all attendees as an appreciation of all its customers' support which involved a lucky draw with attractive prizes such as Dining Vouchers at Shook! Starhill Gallery, English High Tea Vouchers at Ritz-Carlton Hotel Kuala Lumpur, YES 4G mobile internet devices, and the Grand Prize of a 3 days 2 nights all-in stay at the acclaimed 5-Star Pangkor Laut Resort.